WEB & SOCIAL MEDIA VOLUNTEER
Part or Full-Time (Non-Paid)
The Aleppo Compatriotic Charitable Organization (Aleppo-NGO) is a humanitarian, nongovernmental, non-profit organization operating in Armenia since 2013 to support persons displaced from Syria.
The Aleppo-NGO serves to protect, support, and empower refugees in Armenia; develops and implements sustainable programs that contribute to resettlement and integration; and ensures the protection of refugee rights in the social, cultural, and educational spheres. More than 6,000 Syrians (approximately 1,800 families) have been supported by the Aleppo NGO since 2013. The organization implements a variety of programs and initiatives to provide humanitarian, social, financial and psychological support to vulnerable refugee families.
The Aleppo Compatriotic Charitable Organization (Aleppo-NGO) is seeking a Web and Social Media Volunteer. The web and social media volunteer will report directly to the Vice-President and Program Coordinator of the organization.
- Manage and increase followership of Aleppo-NGO’s website and social media accounts including Twitter, Facebook, and other social media accounts;
- Draft, in English and Armenian, op-eds; blogs; other interactive material shedding light on the plight of refugees in Armenia;
- Promote Aleppo-NGO’s material (news releases, reports, photos, videos and other products) through creative, appealing, attention-grabbing Tweets (with relevant hashtags), Facebook posts, and other social media formats;
- Manage and update the Aleppo-NGO’s website, ensure pages are up to date, and post content to the website as required;
- Propose scripts, research relevant images and soundbites for, and edit short YouTube videos in Armenian and English promoting Aleppo-NGO’s work and shedding light on the plight of Syrian refugees in Armenia;
- Propose ideas for infographic designs to promote Aleppo-NGO’s work in a creative, visual way;
- Gather and analyze traffic numbers, social media metrics and other data that will assist in assessing and bolstering the digital presence of the organization;
- Vet and edit content of Aleppo-NGO’s material for accuracy and meaning;
- Carry out such other tasks as requested in relation to Aleppo-NGO’s online presence.
Education: An undergraduate degree in journalism, communication, marketing, or related field is desired. Active undergraduate students are encouraged to apply.
Experience: A minimum of one year of online journalism or web editing or social media management is desired.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
- Exceptional written communication skills in English is required (Armenian is highly desired);
- A track record of social media account management demonstrating innovative posts leading to an increase in followership is desired;
- Ability to express ideas clearly and logically is required;
- Prior experience as a writer and/or editor is highly desired;
- Experience working on a Content Management System (“CMS”), Drupal preferred, or publishing to a website is required;
- Strong online/Microsoft Office skills are required. Experience with HTML, photo, and video editing (Adobe Premier Pro) is desirable;
- Experience with a wire service, newspaper, or online journalism site or other news organization is desirable;
- A broad range of knowledge about human (refugee) rights and international affairs is desirable.
How to Apply: Please apply immediately by sending a Resume/CV in a PDF file to the Aleppo-NGO email (email@example.com) with the following subject line: “Web and Social Media Volunteer 2018”.
Aleppo-NGO is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices. To build the strongest possible workforce, we actively seek a diverse applicant pool and welcome applications from people of diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds, women, LGBTQI persons, and persons with disabilities.